Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

eXPiRY DaTe



Dear diary,
            Everything in this world comes with an expiry date; from commodities to human form, everything withers away some day or the other. So does my tendency to stay away from home; so to say, at IIT BHU. Manufacturing settings of my brain have set the expiry date at around two months. Implying that during the first two months of my staying away from home, my brain functions normally. Once the expiry date is reached, symptoms of home sickness start surfacing one after the other. The only remedy to this queer condition of mind would be to go back home, get rejuvenated and set the counter in my brain back to zero.
            With the expiry date long reached- I left Vijayawada on the 16th of July- so that's 20 days past my 2 months barrier, the symptoms have already started surfacing. Like in SWADES, images pertaining to my home start popping up in my mind. Thus begins a virtual slide of photos; photos of my home, my parents, my friends, the 'Addas' we have, literally everything of fondness in Vijayawada finds its entry into the slide show. Home obsessed guys like me have a really hard time now, more so if you're 30 hours away. You would start losing interest in the worldly things- Not that your life would turn morose or something but the pang of being away from home evident all the same- things that were hitherto fun would become disinteresting; the disinterest discernible from the inadvertently long stares into infinity and thoughts ending at nothing.
           Strangely though, none of what I've told you before seems to happen during the first two months-Of course instances like the happening of CT's or your famished soul staring at the 'Mess ka Khana' would bring back the yearning to go back home. The fast approaching 
CT's only make the yearning more, thus increasing the frequency of slide shows and the number of times I call home-Listening to the voices of my parents and friends gives me solace. Now Is there a cure to this state of mind? The only respite from this feeling would be to launch yourself into a busy life not giving your mind the time to realize the distance. And the more elegant solution, to make the place where you stay your home. Some of my friends have managed to achieve this but for a guy like who has spent the first 17 years of his life at the very same place, whose childhood memories happen to be hidden in  every nook and corner of my city - a part of my soul still lingers there taking pleasure from them, detachment from home would always be painful and no amount of fun, however lively the life    
I lead here would compensate for the distance in heart. 
           I can only find solace in waiting for the day when I'd be leaving to home and meanwhile, I'll pretend as though of detachment doesn't exist, living my life here to the fullest-One and a half year, not much of a time left here, I guess.


Bye.






No comments:

Post a Comment