This is I guess the hundredth I've been asked the same question: " Which college,son?" Students of our age always are asked this, so not a bit of a thing here. It is what follows my reply that sort of irritates me, no not irritating me but breaks my heart, in a way. So, I give my usual reply: IT-BHU ( more recently, I've been using IIT-BHU knowing that we are anyway going to be an IIT soon and also to get the effect of the magical word IIT). What would I expect, a very good or an 'Oh! good to hear that'. But no, I rarely get this. It is always an 'Eh!',smiling, with their ears pointed towards me for clarity which meant ' Nice, young boy, but I haven't heard of such a college, not atleast in India'. So now, I reduce the level that I've so long been showing, and say with a dejected look on my face, with voice not as high as before : 'BHU,sir' . Now the world seems to understand. So it replies," Oh! so you're in BHU, the oldest university in India, I guess , right." I say yes sad that the damage has already been done. And then the philosophical part : 'You must be lucky, Son to be staying in the abode of Lord Viswanath'. Well, thanks to all of you, and yeah, I consider myself lucky to be so close to God.
But you've forgotten to appreciate the fact that I'm an IITian ( not that I demand an appreciation or something) which the people from other IITs get. I've put in the same effort that maybe the other IITians have, so I guess I need not be put through the trauma of going through all this. I'm not being fussy , but when it comes to my father having to go through the entire drama, that hurts me. So what do we ITians do? We wear T-shirts highlighting the IIT word in IIT-BHU, so that maybe the world and the girls, especially, take a second look at us( Come on, if I don't have an edge in the race for girls, why the heck have I cleared JEE?).
This is dedicated to all my fellow ITians who have to put up with all this. Don't worry friends, one day we will become an IIT( that I don't know when), there will be no second time answering the question,' where do you study, son'? , and one day girls might consider someone from ITBHU to be of IIT standards.
But you've forgotten to appreciate the fact that I'm an IITian ( not that I demand an appreciation or something) which the people from other IITs get. I've put in the same effort that maybe the other IITians have, so I guess I need not be put through the trauma of going through all this. I'm not being fussy , but when it comes to my father having to go through the entire drama, that hurts me. So what do we ITians do? We wear T-shirts highlighting the IIT word in IIT-BHU, so that maybe the world and the girls, especially, take a second look at us( Come on, if I don't have an edge in the race for girls, why the heck have I cleared JEE?).
This is dedicated to all my fellow ITians who have to put up with all this. Don't worry friends, one day we will become an IIT( that I don't know when), there will be no second time answering the question,' where do you study, son'? , and one day girls might consider someone from ITBHU to be of IIT standards.
And what girls are we talking about here? Surely, you wouldn't call the non-male inhabitants of any of the IITs 'Girls', would you? Others outside don't really give a damn about the IIT tag, trust me on this one; I've had a few close encounters with girls and honestly, an IIT or a BITS tag kinda makes you look like a geek... Anyways, all the best buddy, hope you find some solace in life...
ReplyDeletethanx a lot buddy.......!!! but this geek theory of yours, I don't think it's completely right, I feel geeks constitute only about 1% of the IITians and only to make things clear : are you an IITian?( no offence meant)
ReplyDeleteAnd no,I wouldn't want girls taking my being an IITian an asset in their " Qualities my boyfriend possesses ". I was only venting my anger here.......!!!!!!!